Monday, January 09, 2012

The First Week

How has your first week of 2012 been?

For my family and I, the past week was an activity packed week. My daughter entered into mainstream education on the third day of the year, and started on her Primary School journey. A little step for Isabelle, a great milestone for all of us.





Just the night before school started, I was lamenting of how I missed pre-school. Because pre-school was non compulsory, I was pretty much "in control". If she wasn't feeling well, I could let her stay home without the need of producing an MC. If we wanted to go for a holiday during school term, I'd just have to let the school know without worry of the work that she would have to miss. But all such "privileges" are off now. Instead, I feel a strong current sweeping me off my feet, pushing me into the rat race, joining the whirlpool of pressure and stress that is characteristic of the education system of our country.

I spent the 1st three days of school volunteering at my daughter's new primary school, helping to chaperone a Primary One class (not my daughter's class). It was a physically tiring but rewarding time. I got to "orientate" and familiarize myself with the new school together with a bunch of excited and wide-eyed kids. And got a few peeks at my little one from time to time to make sure that she was settling in comfortably. She seemed to be adjusting well, excited to go to school every morning and even volunteered to perform a violin piece during the "talent show" on the third day of school. For those who have not seen that on my facebook, you can view it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150461849568062&set=vb.582928061&type=2&theater

My little one also celebrated her 7th birthday last week. Because it was a school day, we couldn't hold a proper party, but we have brought her (and her best friend) to the Universal Studios on the last week of Dec as an advance celebration, and on the actual day we treated her to a sumptous meal at her favourite Japanese restaurant Fukuichi (yes, my little one likes to eat good food).



So that wraps up a busy busy first week. Now on the first day of the second week, I am, for the first time in a long while, enjoying some alone "me time" while my daughter is at school and hub is at work. A few more hours to chill before madness begins (after she comes home), maybe I'll pick up my almost-dusty tools and make something new. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...